09 May 2013

...Reflective Practice

Reflection
Reflective practice is a well-documented approach to learning, which can help professionals understand and deal with the complex and dynamic nature of their experiences. However there is a crucial distinction to be made between, let me call it 'learning from experience' and reflective practice. This difference can often be missed by those new to reflective practices or those engaging in it, as part of a mandatory learning programme, for example. But before I address that, let me take a moment to share the experts' words on the subject of reflective practice - a little nod to the theory...
Critical reflective practice is:

Recapturing and evaluating experience (Boud et al, 1985).

Challenging the status quo through identification of assumptions about successful practice (Ghaye & Ghaye, 1998).

“A process which brings about some... fairly permanent change of behaviour or way of thinking” (Turnet-Bisset, 2001, p.55).

Analyzing concrete experience in order to enable abstract conceptualization which informs active experimentation (Osterman & Kottkamp 2004).

“A dynamic process…" towards improved, higher-quality practices (Pollard, 2008, p.17).

More recent developments in reflective practice have consolidated the concepts and refined practical approaches, in terms of the needs of contemporary professional practitioners. The following themes have been emerging:

  • Looking forwards – involving projection and planning in the process
  • Focusing on strengths – amplifying positives rather than dwelling on problems
  • Developing a state of mind – so that reflection becomes an ongoing constituent of practice / embedded mindfulness 
  • Reflexivity – making the distinction between simply remembering and learning to analyse (Bolton 2010; Ghaye 2011).

So, the broad themes are in place and, as I will address in other posts, various frameworks exist to support successful development and application of reflective practice in the workplace. But if this sounds overly simple, it is partly because a key idea is missing from this overview - a crucial aspect of the reflective practice landscape which transforms it into a powerful learning tool. Reflective practice must include an honest, introspective critique of ourselves, which challenges our views, values and core beliefs. Unless this takes place 'we simply reinforce existing patterns and tendencies' (Tripp, 2012), which will inhibit learning and progress.

And this is the distinction which effective reflective practitioners must be aware of. Engaging in single-loop learning allows us to alter our practices and to achieve new goals. This is sufficient for some people - 'I've thought about it; I'll do it like this/differently/better next time.' But double-loop learning allows us to understand and reshape the context of our practices, and the concepts which define the goals we aim for (see Argyris & Schon, 1974).

References and further reading

Argyris, C and Schön, D. (1974) Theory in Practice: increasing professional effectiveness. London; California: Jossey-Bass

Bolton, G. (2010) Reflective Practice: writing & professional development (3rd ed.) London: Sage.

Boud, D., Keogh, R. and Walker, D. (ed.) (1985) Reflection: Turning Experience into Learning.  Abingdon: Routledge Falmer.

Ghaye, A. and Ghaye K. (1998) Teaching and Learning through Critical Reflective Practice. London: David Fulton.

Ghaye, T (2011) Teaching and learning through reflective practice : a practical guide for positive action (2nd ed.) New York : Routledge

Osterman, K. & Kottkamp, R. (2004) Reflective practice for educators: Professional development to improve student learning (2nd edn.) California: Corwin Press.

Pollard A. (2008), Reflective Teaching (3rd ed.) London; New York: Continuum

Tripp, D. (2012) Critical Incidents in Teaching: Developing Professional Judgement. London; New York: Routledge Falmer

Turner Bisset, R. (2001) Expert Teaching. London: David Fulton

18 comments:

  1. Heya i'm for the first time here. I came across
    this board and I find It truly useful & it helped me out a lot.
    I hope to give something back and aid others like you helped me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a pity you don't have a donate button! I'd certainly donate to this excellent blog!

    I suppose for now i'll settle for book-marking
    and adding your RSS feed to my Google account.
    I look forward to new updates and will talk about this website with my Facebook group.
    Talk soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll add a donate button! Thanks for the nudge...

      Delete
  3. Greetings! Very helpful advice within this post! It is the little changes that will make the largest changes.
    Thanks a lot for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your method of explaining all in this paragraph is genuinely
    good, all be able to simply be aware of it, Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,
      I am glad you found this so good.
      Thanks for commenting.
      Daniel

      Delete
  5. I love reading through a post that will make men and women think.
    Also, thank you for allowing for me to comment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,
      That is part of my aim... Thank you for commenting!
      Daniel

      Delete
  6. Hi, constantly i used to check website posts here early in the dawn, as i like to learn more and more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, yeah this article is genuinely pleasant and
    I have learned lot of things from it concerning blogging.
    thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just desire to say your article is as astonishing. The clearness in your post is just
    great and i can assume you are an expert on this subject.
    Well with your permission let me to grab your feed to keep updated with forthcoming post.
    Thanks a million and please continue the gratifying work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey very cool blog!! Guy .. Excellent .. Superb .. I will bookmark your
    web site and take the feeds also? I'm glad to search out so many
    useful info right here within the put up,
    we'd like develop extra strategies in this regard, thank you for sharing.
    . . . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,
      Thank you. I don't aim for 'cool' but I'm glad that is how it might come across!
      Regards,
      Daniel

      Delete
  10. Hello, I enjoy reading all of your post. I wanted to write a little comment to
    support you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,
      I am glad to hear you enjoyed reading my post.
      Thanks for the support!
      Daniel

      Delete
  11. My brother recommended I might like this blog. He was entirely right.
    This post actually made my day. You can not imagine simply how much time I had spent for this information! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,
      I'm glad to hear this post was helpful to you. (I like making people's days!)
      Daniel

      Delete

Please add your comments & views. No tricky verification required...
Regards, DJA